[gt-user] [gt-dev] Migrating GT services to TLS-only

Stuart Martin smartin at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 27 15:15:46 CDT 2015

Hi All,

April 2 is only 6 days away.  Everyone has had time to upgrade their GT installations in order to avoid any incompatibilities when services are configured to disallow SSLv3.  Starting Thursday, April 2, go ahead and make the change to prevent the use of SSLv3.  This can be done by setting the environment variable “GLOBUS_GSSAPI_FORCE_TLS” before starting any of the GT services: GridFTP, GRAM (gatekeeper), MyProxy, GSISSH.  Please see the service admin guides for details - http://toolkit.globus.org/toolkit/docs/latest-stable/

If after making the change you see errors coming from the services like this:
————————————————————————
530-globus_xio: Authentication Error
530-globus_gsi_gssapi: Unable to verify remote side's credentials
530-globus_gsi_gssapi: SSLv3 handshake problems: Couldn't do ssl handshake
530-OpenSSL Error: s3_srvr.c:965: in library: SSL routines, function
SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO: wrong version number
530 End.
That would indicate that some users are still using an old/incompatible version of the client.

Hopefully, there will be very few issues, since we have given everyone a good amount of time to prepare.

Cheers,
Stu